Monday, April 20, 2009

John Armstrong's Top 25 Songs

1. Good Old Accapella - The Nylons
For us high school and college choir types

2. Lake Shore Drive - Aliotta Haynes Jeremiah
For everyone who loves Chicago

3. No Fair at All - The Association

4. People Get Ready - Curtis Mayfield and the Impressions

5. Sometimes in Winter - Blood Sweat and Tears
First rock concert I ever went to

6. A Summer Song - Chad and Jeremy

7. Canon in D Major - English Chamber Orchestra

8. Come Sail Away - Styx

9. Fanfare for the Common Man - Aaron Copland

10. Glad - Traffic
The title is exactly right

11. Just the Two of Us - Grover Washington & Bill Withers

12. Marrakesh Express - Crosby, Stills, and Nash

13. Never My Love - The Association
Favorite band in college

14. Summer Breeze - Seals and Crofts

15. The Sounds of Silence (Live) - Simon and Garfunkel

16. Wasted on the Way - Crosby, Stills, and Nash

17. Angela - Bob James
Makes me think of reverend Jim

18. Centerfield - John Fogerty

19. Don't Worry Be Happy - Bobby McFerrin

20. Early Morning Rain - Gordon Lightfoot

21. Knights in White Satin - Moody Blues

22. Hello It's Me - Todd Rundgren

23. Honey Wind Blows - Glenn Yarbrough
Saw him at Golf Mill with the Limelighters

24. I'd Really Love to See You Tonight - England Dan and John Ford Coley

25. Outside of a Small Circle of Friends - Phil Ochs

26. Scotch and Soda - The Kingston Trio

27. Up On the Roof - The Nylons
I'd kill for his voice

28. You Raise Me Up - Josh Groban

29. Children of Sanchez Theme - Chuck Mangione
My brother played the flugelhorn in high school

30. Somewhere Over the Rainbow - Israel Kamakawiwo'ole
Makes me smile

31. What a Wonderful World - Louis Armstrong

32. Louisiana 1927 - Randy Newman
Best blues song ever

5 comments:

  1. Canon in D Major may be the sleeper favorite, but I'm happy to see the Nylons on there twice

    ReplyDelete
  2. I linked to as many good versions as I could find. I'll get the notes up in a minute.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG!! Don't Worry, Be Happy????? Love it!! This is so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Re: 27- Who specifically? : )
    Re: 30- This song was on a "road trip" mix cd circa my freshman year of college. I hadn't thought of it in years. Hearing it made me smile.
    Re: links/videos- Well done, Nathan! I haven't been able to link too much because my work computer speakers stink, and my headphones don't reach from under my desk to my ears.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I didn't know that Phil Ochs song before, but now I can't get it out of my head. It's an example of these lists doing good work, though, in that I'm hearing a bunch of new things, and some of it will stick.

    ReplyDelete