Saturday, April 25, 2009

Dave Lighthall's Top 25 Songs

1. 25 or 6 to 4 - Chicago
Favorite song from my favorite group

2. Does Anybody Know What Time It Is - Chicago
Another favorite song from my favorite group

3. No Tell Lover - Chicago
Nice ballad, a dramatic change from the usual Chicago, smooth, mellow

4. My Girl - The Temptations

5. Surfer Girl - Beach Boys
Loved beach and car music in Jr. High

6. Up, Up, and Away - Fifth Dimension
Love most of their stuff-Marilyn McCoo-the best voice

7. Lines and Circles - Fifth Dimension
Marilyn McCoo

8. Celebrate - Kool and the Gang

9. Standing in the Shadows of Love - The Four Tops

10. Bernadette - The Four Tops

11. I Am...I Said - Neil Diamond
College coffee house memories

12. Brother Love's Traveling Salvation Show - Neil Diamond
College coffee house memories

13. Bridge Over Troubled Water - Simon and Garfunkle
College coffee house memories

14. At the Zoo - Simon and Garfunkle
College coffee house memories

15. Thriller - Michael Jackson
Cool song, cool video- lots to choose from from this artist

16. Windy - The Association
Close harmonies

17. Never My Love - The Association
Close harmonies

18. Conga - Miami Sound Machine
Start the party with this group- Gloria Estefan great vocals

19. September - Earth, Wind, and Fire
Funky!!

20. Superstitious - Stevie Wonder
Songs in the Key of Life- One of the best albums ever

21. Close to You - The Carpenters
Karen Carpenter's fabulous voice

22. Tuxedo Junction - Manhattan Transfer
a capella- very smooth, great harmonies

23. Birdland - Manhattan Transfer
a capella- very smooth, great harmonies

24. Susan - The Buckinghams
Music "Lite" but good harmonies and easy to karaoke

25. Little Old Lady from Pasadena - Jan and Dean
Same as Beach boys- sooooo jr. high


OTHERS
Kind of a Drag - The Buckinghams
Music Lite but good harmonies and easy to karaoke

Be True to Your School - Jan and Dean
Same as Beach Boys

National Anthem - Jimi Hendrix
Unbelievable guitar version

I'll Take You There - Pointer Sisters
Start the party with this group

Born to be Wild - Steppenwolf

Pinball Wizard
- The Who

Theme from Vegas
Don't know why but always one of my favorites

Theme from MASH
For some reason it sticks in my head and is hard to get rid of

Man, I Feel Like a Woman - Shania Twain
Very sexy song

Think - Aretha Franklin
"Blues Brothers" classic

Silhouettes on the Shade - Herman's Hermits
Classic funny 1950's doo-wop song

NO WAY, JOSE
I wouldn't take a cd from these groups if they were free:
The Rolling Stones
Cher
Elvis
Madonna
Any Heavy Metal

3 comments:

  1. 17 - at least three of us have this on our lists now.

    Jimi Hendrix's National Anthem - Mike and I saw a guy play that on a modified bass clarinet (?)... he had it hooked up to a distortion pedal or something, pretty cool.

    I'm usually afraid to admit it due to some reactions I've gotten in the past, but I hate the Rolling Stones too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know Davy had a hard time cutting songs down, but I really like the approach he took, which guarantees that your most loved groups will be well represented. Also, I'm with him on his whole "no way" list. Very polarizing groups, and I just happen to come down on the no thanks side of the fence as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, and the audio on the third Chicago song, "No Tell Lover," is not great. It was the best one I could find, and since it's a less well-known song, I wanted to include something. At least, I'd never heard it before, but I could be alone in that. I'd never heard "Never My Love" before either, and that song's on three lists already.

    ReplyDelete