Monday, March 26, 2012

Anna Armstrong's Top Ten Books

As I review my list it is apparent that historical fiction is the big winner. Who knew? I guess I’m enthralled with learning a little history while being entertained. It could also be that this seems to be the genre I’ve fallen into recently and so they are most fresh in my mind. I do love science fiction and fantasy too so I’m sure this list would be different on any given day.

Champion Dog Prince Tom by Jean Fritz and Tom Clute
This is a true story of a small cocker spaniel that set record after record, including the honor of being the first American cocker to win the national field trials and the only one to do so while holding obedience titles. I read this when I was about 9 or 10 and loved the book. I remember starting it while waiting for my mom at the St. Mary’s library. I was sitting by the large windows facing the canal and reading as the bright sunshine poured in through the windows and I didn’t want to go home.

Eight Cousins by Louisa May Alcott
This book was a gift from an aunt. I read it when I was 10 or 11 and never wanted to the story to end.

The Eight by Katherine Neville
The Eight features two intertwined storylines set centuries apart. The first takes place in 1972 and follows American computer expert Catherine “Cat” Velis as she is sent to Algeria for a special assignment. The second is set in 1790 and revolves around Mireille, a novice nun at Montglane Abbey. The fates of both characters are intertwined as they try to unravel the mystery behind the Montglane Service; a chess set that holds the key to a game of unlimited power. I really loved the complexity of the plot line and the references to history and music.  Not a realistic story line but so much fun to read.

The Lord of the Rings  is an epic high fantasy novel written by J. R. R. Tolkien.  I was enthralled by this epic story and its vivid descriptions of characters and places. The reread is every bit as good as the first time through.

Team of Rivals: The Political Genius of Abraham Lincoln is a book by historian Doris Kearns Goodwin published in 2005. The book is a biographical portrait of U.S. President Abraham Lincoln and some of the men who served with him in his Cabinet from 1861 to 1865.  
I was fascinated by Lincoln’s ability to understand the motives and feelings of others and use that to create a respected and brilliant cabinet comprised of some of his staunchest opponents and critics.

Alas, Babylon by Pat Frank
This was one of the first apocalyptic novels of the nuclear age. The novel deals with the effects of a nuclear war on the small town of Fort Repose, Florida. This was my first read regarding nuclear war and was frightening.

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Schaeffer and Annie Barrows
Through a series of letters, readers come to know and love Juliet and a variety of friends and foes on Guernsey. The characters are lovable, quirky and believable. Through the letters the story unfolds of the island’s Nazi occupation and the islander’s resistance. Who wouldn’t love pig farmer spies???

The Beekeeper’s Apprentice by Laurie R. King
This story is the beginning to a series of books about the growing relationship between Mary Russell and Sherlock Holmes as they solve mysteries in great Holmes fashion. Great entertainment.

Harry Potter Series by J. K. Rowling
These are just some of the most imaginative books I’ve ever read. I just couldn’t wait to get my hands on the next one in the series.

Moloka’i by Alan Bennert
Rachel Kalama, a spirited seven-year-old Hawaiian girl, dreams of visiting far-off lands like her father, a merchant seaman. Then one day a rose-colored mark appears on her skin, and those dreams are stolen from her. Taken from her home and family, Rachel is sent to Kalaupapa, the quarantined leprosy settlement on the island of Moloka'i. Why do we never learn about these things in history class? It was such a fascinating story.

Some that didn’t make the cut but are fantastic too.

Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins
Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman
The Unexpected Mrs. Pollifax by Dorothy Gilman
The Thomas Covenant Chronicles by Stephen R. Donaldson

No comments:

Post a Comment