Friday, February 18, 2011

Mike Armstrong's Top Ten Movies

I am following my Dad's format for choosing movies. He did post first so I think he deserves to set some kind of precedent. So, this list is weighted strongly towards rewatchability. Movies that I would always want to watch and could watch multiple times. Not the 10 best movies ever made, but probably my 10 favorite. 

For honorable mentions, there were many that were sitting just off the list for a while. It was pretty tough to trim down. I think the last three to be cut were Caddyshack, Monty Python and the Holy Grail, and Indiana Jones: The Last Crusade. That last one was real difficult to cut. Sean Connery is great in that one. On to the list!
 

Inga: Werewolf! 
Dr. Frederick Frankenstein: Werewolf?
Igor: There.
Dr. Frederick Frankenstein: What?
Igor: There, wolf. There, castle.
Dr. Frederick Frankenstein: Why are you talking that way?
Igor: I thought you wanted to.
Dr. Frederick Frankenstein: No, I don't want to.
Igor: [shrugs] Suit yourself. I'm easy. 



Prof. Neuman:  You see, this is us, and we’re travelling around the sun– that’s a one-point-three million mile trip, every year! You might say that each and every one of us is a crew member here on ‘spaceship earth’…

 Kid:  When would we say that? 

Prof. Neuman:  Anytime… dinner… literally anytime.

8. Kung Fu Hustle (2004)


7. Brick (2005)

Laura: [On the phone with Brendan] Who is this?
Brendan Frye: I won't waste your time: you don't know me.
Laura: I know everyone, and I have all the time in the world.
Brendan Frye: Ah, the folly of youth. 

6. Animal Crackers (1930)

Capt. Spaulding:  One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got in my pajamas, I don't know. 

5. Princess Bride (1987)

Grandpa: It was ten days to the wedding. The King still lived, but Buttercup's nightmares were growing steadily worse.
The Grandson: See didn't I tell you she'd never marry that rotten Humperdinck.
Grandpa: Yes you're very smart. Shut up.



4. Robin Hood (1973)
 
Little John: [after sitting on Hiss] Oh, excuse me, Buster.
Hiss: Buster? You, sir, have taken my seat!
Prince John: [laughs] Hiss, with you around, who needs a court jester? 
 

 
3. Mirrormask (2005)

Helena: What's green, hangs on the wall, and whistles?…Have you found the answer yet?
Gryphon: I give up, I think, no wait, wait…fine. What's the answer?
Helena: Okay. It's a herring.
Gryphon: But a herring isn't green.
Helena: You can paint it green.
Gryphon: But a herring doesn't hang on a wall.
Helena: You can nail it to a wall.
Gryphon: But a herring doesn't whistle!
Helena: Oh, come on. I just put that in to stop it from being too obvious. 

2. Kung Fu Panda (2008)
 
"Quit, don't quit. Noodles, don't noodles."

1. Hot Fuzz (2007)

-Your predecessor assumed rural policing was easy. Ended up having a nervous breakdown, and Sergeant Popwell was an exceptional officer. Truly exceptional. But he had one thing you haven't got.
 
-What's that sir?

-A GREAT BIG BUSHY BEARD!"

 



 
  

3 comments:

  1. OK, I already put MirrorMask and Brick on the netflix list. It's a great list, Mike. I was really sure Kung Fu Panda would be number 1. And I can't believe Surf Ninjas didn't make it. Maybe it will be on Nate's list. You know, #10 Citizen Kane #9 Surf Ninjas....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Surf Ninjas was a tough one. It was in the conversation earlier in the week and then I forgot about it. That seemed to happen a lot. It probably should have made honorable mention instead of Caddyshack. May seem crazy, but SN was part of my childhood and Caddyshack wasn't, so it should have gotten the nod.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Upsets all around! I think if you had asked around, Kung Fu Panda would have been by far the favorite to place #1 on this list.

    ReplyDelete